I love new years posts!!!! I also love excessive punctuation!!!!! Yay!!!!!! Serious though, I love writing new years blog posts. I know I said this last year, but they are seriously my favorites. In my new years posts, I get to discuss last year, and my goals (sometimes that part sucks haha) and make new ones!!! I always get so inspired when I write my January posts…
So with out any further adu…………….
Lets go over my year… In tradition with every new year blog post, and in order for this recap to be effective, I am going to write it as one GIANT run on sentence and you have to read it on one breathe and really fast. Okay? I mean it, no cheating! READY???
My daughter turned 1 last Jan, HOLY COW, I know people always say they grow so fat but it’s true, it’s crazy how fast they grow, she started walking, running, talking, holding conversations, etc she is not a little baby anymore, and she is about to turn two, it’s just insane, I launched my “Gino And The Lone Gunman” music video, bloodydisgusting.com even did an exclusive premier of it, I launched the website for my short film “The Haunted House”, I launched my own personal web page and new blog at www.wesleyalley.com , on the new website i started a new email list so i can keep people up to date with any exciting news and changes in my life, please please please subscribe, I won’t spam you, I promise, just sign up with your email on the right to this page, I made some really fun, and cheesy, horror hot sauce commercials for a company called “Salem’s Lott Hot Sauce”, I made a new short film, a really short film, a 15 second short film actually, i submitted it to a competition that had over 200 entrees and placed 11th place, three celebrity judges picked my short to be in their top picks, and I was even chosen as one of three directors out of everyone who submitted who were awarded as top technical filmmakers, it was cool, it’s called “The Monster In The Closet”, “We Are Indy Horror”, and “Dread Central” both featured several articles about me and my projects, “The Haunted House” premiered at “The Idaho Horror Film Festival” in Oct, and opened up at a family friendly screening of Disney’s “Hocus Pocus” which is a pretty sweet accomplishment, We had a super awesome, fun and scary Halloween, and “The Haunted House” screened at the Studio City International Film Festival which was a lot of fun, I started pitching a feature film that I am going to make and am very excited about, as well as started development and pre production/production on my horror anthology I told you all about last year in a blog post, I also was asked to direct a web series for a sketch comedy group and shot the first 3 or 4 episodes and even released the first episode already, I am getting almost finished with contract negotiations for a movie that I produced, and i spent a ton of time rewriting and writing scripts, I worked a ton on TV shows and movies as a gaffer or lighting technician and spent a ton of time with my pregnant wife, yep, she is knocked up again and baby number two is coming in march, another little girl, went home for christmas and spent time with family in Idaho, and spent a quiet night home for new years eve, just me my wife and daughter, it was a super super excellent year, a frustrating and hard year, but amazing all the way none the less…
What a super crazy year!!! It seems like I did so much more but this is all I can think of. Making a list like this never really does it justice, but either way it’s fun to do. I hope that you didn’t pass out for lack of oxygen whilst you were reading my super long run on sentence, and thank you for playing along and reading it really fast in one big breath. You are still there right? Blink once for, “yes I am okay”, and twice for, “please help I am super light headed”…
I hope you’re still with us, but just to give you a moment to relax, check out all these pics from last year, and don’t worry, you can breath at any pace you like while looking.
You know what they say, “A picture is worth a thousand words.” So since that was about a billion trillion words- lets get right into discussing last years goals….
1. Launch my Wesley Alley Directing website. Done! Right off the bat there is one thing acomplished!
2. Complete an updated demo reel. Alright!!!! One more thing
3. Get representation! Either a manager or agent. (Even though this is goal number 3 on this list it is my number one goal for the first part of 2015 and the one I will be focusing on the hardest as the new year starts.) uh…. nope didn’t accomplish this haha in fact after a few months of working on it, and talking with mentors, other directors, writers, producers etc, I decided to wait for awhile before starting this one, I have a few things i want to do, or need to do before I start putting myself out there for attention… remember you can only be new and exciting once!
4. Produce a feature film. Uh… Nope but I started one!!!
5. Direct my first feature length film. (This one scares me but I am going to push very hard for this. I want to direct my first real full length movie.) Nope failed miserably on this on, no excuses at all! I tried, I tried hard, and I have some really exciting things going for me, but nothing yet.
6. Direct 13 projects. (1 of which will be my first feature film of course.) started off with 2 hot sauce commercials, then 1 short film, and then ended with 4 episodes of a sketch comedy web series, so 7… 7 out of 13 and one wasn’t my first feature film… so this one is a nope. Still a good one, but a nope. 13 is an ambitious goal, one that is very hard to reach, and one 7 is a pretty good number so even this one is a nope, i still count it as a win for me!!!!
7. Write 3 feature films. “This one I totally did! One or two might only be rough drafts but still completed feature length scripts. So this one I comple ted.
8. Loose 10 pounds and keep it off this time.lost and kept off!!!!
9. Sell a script I wrote. (This one also scares me a lot, because it is very hard, but I want to let it be known that I am going to be working on that!)Nope this one is also a big fail!!! But I am going to keep working on it, and I have some possible leads as well as I am going to keep writing more.
10. Take like a billion pictures of Alice. (I have to have one goal that I can achieve right?? (haha) and 10 just seemed like a nice number of goals to have… a really hard amount of really hard goals.) Yep accomplished!!! and going to keep it going!!!
5 out of 10 Rating… by the numbers that isn’t that great, but all the head way I made on the other goals and how much work and effort I put on directing my first feature film, all the pitching, rewrites, meetings, emails, etc. it’s amazing I had time to accomplish any of the other goals… And I am making good headway!!! So even though i scored a 50% which is an F i feel like I tried real hard, and had a really good year!!! Keep working on that A though… Ive always been a 3.75-4.0 student!!! and I never give up!
SO THAT BRINGS US TO THE MOMENT WE HAVE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1. Finish my Horror Anthology movie.
2. Direct 13 projects.
3. Direct my first feature film. (Again this one is hard and announcing it scares me but I have to hold myself accountable).
4. Write 2 feature films.
5. Run a 5k.
6. Act in a movie I am not directing.
7. Win a best director award.
8. Sell a script.
9. Get representation (a manger or agent).
10. Take like a billion pictures of my family!!!! (I need at least one easy one!!!)
Wow!!! Scary goals!!!! I better get out there and start accomplishing!!!!!!!
As always thank you so much for sharing this journey with me!!! Please keep reading and please sign up for my email list. Thank you all for everything and Keep reading!!!!!